The historic Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) provides tax breaks to individuals, but also repeals or reduces certain cherished deductions. As a result, the 2017 return you file this year may be your last chance to claim these five write-offs:
1. Mortgage interest: Currently, you can deduct mortgage interest paid on a qualified residence for acquisition debt of up to $1 million and home equity debt of up to $100,000. The new law reduces the acquisition debt level to $750,000 on new loans and eliminates the deduction for home equity debt after 2017, except if the home equity loan is used to buy, build or substantially improve the taxpayer’s home that secures the loan.
2. Miscellaneous expenses: On your 2017 return, you can deduct miscellaneous expenses above 2 percent of your adjusted gross income (AGI). This includes unreimbursed employee business expenses and income-production expenses like investment and tax advisory fees. The TCJA eliminates all itemized miscellaneous deductions for 2018 and subsequent years.
3. State and local taxes: You can still deduct the full amount of your property taxes on your 2017 return, in addition to either your sales taxes or state and local income taxes. The new TCJA law effective in 2018 limits the annual deduction for state and local taxes (SALT) to $10,000.
4. Casualty and theft losses: For 2017 returns, you may deduct unreimbursed casualty and theft losses above 10 percent of your AGI, after subtracting $100 per event. The TCJA repeals this deduction, except for losses in federally declared disaster areas, beginning in 2018.
5. Moving expenses: If you moved in 2017 for job-related reasons, you may be able to deduct your moving expenses (special rules apply). However, this deduction is repealed by the new law beginning in 2018, except for expenses of active duty military personnel.
Other tax deductions have been modified or repealed. Schedule an appointment with us to learn how the TCJA affects you situation.
"Tax Tips" are published weekly to provide current tax information, tax-cutting suggestions, and tax reminders. If you would like more information on anything in "Tax Tips," or if you'd like to be on our mailing list to receive other tax information from time to time, please contact our office.
The tax information contained in this site is of a general nature and should not be acted upon in your specific situation without further details and/or professional assistance.
We are trusted CPA advisors servicing Burr Ridge, Hinsdale, Willowbrook, Darien, Naperville, and all Chicagoland area.
Do you need assistance with your business and/or personal tax returns? Would you like to have a trusted source for your accounting, allowing you additional time to focus on increasing your business? Do you use QuickBooks, or plan to in the future, for your accounting? We include these in all our service packages, customized to fit your personal or business needs.
We are currently accepting new clients. Your initial consultation is free, so you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Our experienced staff is available to help you streamline your accounting, giving you more free time for yourself. Set up an appointment today by calling (630) 320-3720 or email us at email@example.com.
For more free resources, such as Tax Rates, Tax Organizers, and Record Retention Schedules, access our website www.monarchaccountinggroup.com.
Monarch Accounting Group, Inc
145 Tower Drive, Suite 4
Burr Ridge, IL 60527
Phone (630) 320-3720
To better serve our clients and friends, to keep you up-to-date and informed, our blog is a resource for tax tips and overall accounting related articles. We hope you find this useful!