yes, really some tax tips
The old year is ending and the new one is about to start. Here are some tax tips to get you going into the new year with a brighter tax future on your horizon.
1. Review beneficiaries. Now is the time to review beneficiaries in all your retirement accounts and insurance policies. While it might not impact your tax situation, it could impact others if not structured correctly.
2. Fully fund FSA or MSA. Flexible Savings Accounts and Medical Savings Accounts are a great way to pay for qualified, medical, dental and vision care. But it only works if you fund your account. So check with your employer and plan to take full advantage of this great tax benefit.
3. Planfully fund retirement accounts. Plan now to take advantage of the many retirement planning options. Whether it be a 401(k) or on of many versions of IRAs, they are a great way to manage your tax obligation, while planning for your future.
4. Consider any anticipated tax events. Life events are the biggest cause of tax surprises. So if you are planning to move, retire, get married or divorced, have kids or change jobs you should know of the tax impact BEFORE it happens. You could save thousands.
5. Review withholdings. Coupled with number 4, any changes could impact your tax obligation and should impact how much you have withheld during the year. So consider an annual review of your situation and adjust your withholdings accordingly.
6. Consider the child factor. This one is important because of the numerous tax benefits associated with children. It can mean funding a 529 program, or opening a Roth IRA if your older children have earned income. It can mean understanding when benefits expire as your children age or planning for college age children. The bottom line, conduct a tax review specific to your children.
7. Consider your property. Selling a home, stocks, bonds or digital currency all have potential tax implications. So if any of these are on the horizon consider taking a planned approach. It could save you a bundle.
"Tax Tips" are published to provide current tax information, tax-cutting suggestions, and tax reminders. If you would like more information on anything in "Tax Tips," or if you'd like to be on our mailing list to receive other tax information from time to time, please contact our office.
The tax information contained in this site is of a general nature and should not be acted upon in your specific situation without further details and/or professional assistance.
We are trusted CPA advisors servicing Burr Ridge, Hinsdale, Willowbrook, Darien, Naperville, and all Chicagoland area.
Do you need assistance with your business and/or personal tax returns? Would you like to have a trusted source for your accounting, allowing you additional time to focus on increasing your business? Do you use QuickBooks, or plan to in the future, for your accounting? We include these in all our service packages, customized to fit your personal or business needs.
We are currently accepting new clients. Your initial consultation is free, so you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Our experienced staff is available to help you streamline your accounting, giving you more free time for yourself. Set up an appointment today by calling (630) 320-3720 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more free resources, such as Tax Organizers, and Record Retention Schedules, access our website www.monarchaccountinggroup.com.
Mia Verc, CPA; Janice Papais, CPA
To better serve our clients and friends, to keep you up-to-date and informed, our blog is a resource for tax tips and overall accounting related articles. We hope you find this useful!