At the end of each year there are a number of things to consider that may have a positive impact on your tax obligation. Here is a list of fifteen ideas that may be worth a quick review.
1. Make last minute charitable donations.
2. Review and maximize use of the $15,000 annual gift giving limit.
3. Review your investment portfolio for capital gain and loss planning.
4. Use your annual $3,000 net capital loss limit to lower ordinary income if appropriate.
5. Maximize the kiddie tax threshold rules ($2,200 of unearned income taxed at your child’s lower tax rate).
6. Consider fully funding retirement account annual contributions.
7. Identify any potential tax forms required for household employees.
8. Consider donating appreciated stock owned one year or longer.
9. Review retirement accounts. While required minimum distributions (RMD) are waived this year, you may still wish to remove funds to be tax efficient.
10. Review medical and dependent care funding accounts to ensure you do not lose contributions that do not rollover into the new year.
11. Consider retirement plan rollover options into Roth IRAs.
12. Estimate your tax liability and make any final estimated tax payments. This is especially important to small business owners that must pay taxes on any potential loan forgiveness.
13. Create a list of expected 1099 and other tax forms you will be receiving. Remember to note that you may be receiving 1099-NEC forms that are new this year!
14. Review your W-2 withholdings and file any changes with your employer for the upcoming year.
15. Begin organizing your tax records.
Should you have any questions on these ideas, ask for help prior to taking action. In many cases, the requirements and documentation needed are important to ensure you receive the full tax savings benefit.
"Tax Tips" are published to provide current tax information, tax-cutting suggestions, and tax reminders. If you would like more information on anything in "Tax Tips," or if you'd like to be on our mailing list to receive other tax information from time to time, please contact our office.
The tax information contained in this site is of a general nature and should not be acted upon in your specific situation without further details and/or professional assistance.
We are trusted CPA advisors servicing Burr Ridge, Hinsdale, Willowbrook, Darien, Naperville, and all Chicagoland area.
Do you need assistance with your business and/or personal tax returns? Would you like to have a trusted source for your accounting, allowing you additional time to focus on increasing your business? Do you use QuickBooks, or plan to in the future, for your accounting? We include these in all our service packages, customized to fit your personal or business needs.
We are currently accepting new clients. Your initial consultation is free, so you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Our experienced staff is available to help you streamline your accounting, giving you more free time for yourself. Set up an appointment today by calling (630) 320-3720 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more free resources, such as Tax Rates, Tax Organizers, and Record Retention Schedules, access our website www.monarchaccountinggroup.com.
Monarch Accounting Group, Inc
145 Tower Drive, Suite 4
Burr Ridge, IL 60527
Phone (630) 320-3720
To better serve our clients and friends, to keep you up-to-date and informed, our blog is a resource for tax tips and overall accounting related articles. We hope you find this useful!